Sweet Tomato Chicken with Chorizo Mayonnaise
SWEET TOMATO CHICKEN WITH CHORIZO MAYONNAISE
Once upon a time a very tired mother of two babies and a father with a very bad back went to stay in a luxury spa hotel called Lucknam Park. They felt they deserved it. Despite absolute exhaustion I am told one could liken to battle fatigue, she remembered the chorizo mayonnaise and will do so forever (that’s me by the way). It was served there with squid rings. Delicious. Also delicious this way, any way actually. So if you don’t have the chicken, have the mayo.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 chicken jointed (ask you butcher or use pre chopped chicken thighs, breasts and legs)
1 large onion finely diced
2 tins of tomatoes
1tsp cumin powder
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp sweet smoked paprika
2 star anise
Chicken stock – if it is not good quality, use water instead.
Glug of sherry – about 100 mls
1. Heat a large heavy based pan. Add olive oil.
2. Season the chicken portions and place them in the oil. Fry until golden brown. Remove from the pan.
3. Add the onion to the olive oil, adding more if necessary. Fry until translucent.
4. Add spices and fry for 1 minute.
5. Add remaining ingredients including the chicken, cover and put in an oven (bottom right of two door aga, top left of 4 door), or turn heat down to a medium low temperature so that the chicken does not reach simmering point, for 1 and a half hours.
6. Take chicken out when it has come loose from the bone. Place it in a warm dish and cover with a lid or foil. Reduce the sauce over a higher heat to a thick consistency. It should taste sweet and sticky.
1 free range egg and 1 free range egg yolk
Juice of half a lemon
Pinch of salt 400 mls oil, (100 ml olive oil, 300ml plain oil such as sunflower)
4 inch piece of chorizo
1. Peel the chorizo and slice.
2. Fry in a hot dry pan. Set aside.
3. Whizz the eggs, lemon and salt in a food processor or whisk by hand
4. Gradually drizzle in the oil. Very slowly and patiently. Do not do this when you are in a rush!
5. Add the chorizo and whizz. If you do not have a machine it will be difficult to achieve this. I suggest chopping it finely with a very sharp knife and mixing in.
6. Sieve the mayonnaise to get rid of any lumps.
Serve in a bowl on the table, so that people may help themselves.