Almond Apple Pudding
Not my average day – two models were photographed in Damart underwear by my husband http://thermosurvey.wordpress.com/. They have it all, Manon Lambert starting Oxford Uni next week, and Chloe-Jasmine Whichello being on “The Face” on Sky Living on the 30th September!
We had courgette and feta salad, roasted peppers, homemade bread to which I added feta and sunblushed tomatoes, tomatoes from the garden, homemade elderflower and Coconut pannacotta. Lucky, as one was a vegetarian. So as a one off, I start this recipe with a picture of them. It should really be the bread as they ate lots of it, but that will come.
This pudding is not relevant to them, but I made it today while they were here so there we are…. from guess who’s books?
“1lb of apples; 4 oz. of sugar; 3 oz. of butter; 2 oz. of ground almonds; 1 egg; 1 1/2 oz. of breadcrumbs; blanched almonds.
Peel and core the apples, slice them and cook very slowly in a very little water. Cream the butter and the sugar together, add the ground almonds and the beaten egg. Mix the breadcrumbs into the apple pulp, place in a greased pie-dish and cover with teh almond mixture. Split some blanched almonds in half and lay on the top. Bake for 3.4 hour ina very moderate oven (Regulo 4, 375 degrees Elec.) Serve hot or cold.” (My Own Cookery Book, 1920)
1 lb/450g apples, peeled and roughly chopped
3oz/85g unsalted room temperature butter
2oz/55g ground almonds
1.5oz/40g of breadcrumbs
Handful of flaked almonds
1. Put the apples in a pan over a low heat with a little water, adding more if necessary, until softened.
2. Stir in the breadcrumbs.
3. Whip up the butter with the sugar until light and then add the egg and the almonds.
4. Butter a pudding basin or a pie dish and put the apple mixture into it.
5. Top this with the butter/sugar/egg/almond mixture.
6. Sprinkle flaked almonds on top.
7. Put it in the oven at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. Serve hot or cold with cream, custard, ice cream or creme fraiche.