Asian Baked Fish
ASIAN BAKED FISH
Ground nut oil
Whole large seabass gutted, descaled
Lime sliced Nam pla – fish sauce
1tsp palm sugar, granulated or demerara
Half a chilli sliced finely. Include seeds for more heat.
Spring onions, finely sliced
1. Heat the oil until hot but not steaming with heat.
2. Add the fish and fry for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on the size. If it is a small fish for one portion, 2 minutes, a large one for 2 people or more, about 4, or until it has a light brown tinge.
3. Add 2tbsp fish sauce – Sprinkle over the sugar – Stir to mix in to sauce.
4. Add chilli and spring onions.
5. Fry for about 4 more minutes until when a knife is inserted into the fillet, it comes away easily from the bone.
6. Serve the whole fish at once and dissect at the table.
A bowl of noodles dressed in sesame oil and some bok choi fried in groundnut oil with garlic would be good accompaniments.