This is smokey and warming and summery all in one package.
30 mls olive oil
2 garlic cloves
Mild salt such as Maldon seasalt, about half a teaspoon
paprika and extra virgin oil or
pomegranate seeds (Nigella)
1. Roast the aubergine in the oven at 180 degrees C for 40-45 minutes until it is more than soft inside.
2. Turn the oven down to 160 and put 2 garlic cloves in their skins, in the oven for 20 minutes until soft.
3. When cool enough to manage, put the cloves minus their skins and the aubergine, minues its skin, in the blender with the oil and some mild salt and lemon. Be careful not to add too much lemon.
4. Whizz the lot and season to taste.
5. Serve hot or cold drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and smoked paprika, with pitta bread, perhaps toasted.