BBQ Roasted Babaganoush
Aubergine roasted on a barbeque tastes so much better than in the oven. I have a great Romanian friend, Monica, who introduced me to this. While they are in season (now – June), they are 50p and so she barbecues and then freezes them. We had it longside smoked trout, smoked in a smoker I was given for Christmas. While both are delicious, this is all about the Aubergine – Baba ganoush.
3 aubergine, roasted on the bbq
3 cloves of garlic, roasted
A glug of olive oil
juice of half a lemon
2 tbsp mayonnaise (optional)
1. Place the aubergine over hot coals. Wait to turn them over when they are softening, after about twenty minutes.
2. Press them down so the juice fall onto the coals, and turn them over now and then until the whole thing is completely soft.
3. Put them in a bowl and allow them to cool until manageable.
4. Now remove the skins, not worrying about he odd bit that goes in the bowl with the flesh.
5. Add the roasted and softened garlic and the other ingredients and mash with a potato masher or be vigorous with a fork.
6. This is lovely with pomegranate seeds on top.