Bigo’s Hunter Stew
For Christmas my brother gave me the ingredients for the goulash he loves from his local Polish delicatessen. I made it last night and it is indeed delicious, and wonderfully simple to make.
2 onions finely sliced
2 polish sausages sliced
About 400g Polish bacon chopped into small pieces
1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tube tomato puree (maybe not the whole thing but near enough)
5 large cloves garlic, whole
1 large jar of Sauerkraut
1 litre chicken stock
1. Fry the onions in a little plain oil until glossy.
2. Add the meat and fry until browned.
3. Stir in the paprika, whole garlic, tomato puree, followed by the Sauerkraut.
4. Add the hot stock and stir.
5. Let it simmer until it is the consistency you are happy with – around 15 minutes or so should do it.
6. Serve with whatever you like but warm crusty bread, soured cream and some green beans were perfect.