Blackberry and Apple Crumble
Not long left for blackberry picking! Crumble is not always my forte even though it must be one of the simplest things. Thanks to an article in the paper, I have mastered the art of a good crumble topping.
650g apples, chopped
3 handfuls of blackberries
60g brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
200g unsalted butter
250g demerara sugar
100g plain flour
100g ground almonds
pinch of salt
1. Put the apples in a pan with the sugar (the amount of sugar needed depends on the tartness of the apples) and a splash of water.
2. Heat through until soft.
3. When the apples squish easily when pressed with a wooden spoon, stir in the blackberries and then cinnamon. It should be the consistency you want when it is cooked so you may need to add more water.
4. Put the crumble ingredients in a bowl and rub them together until they resemble breadcrumbs.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C
6. Put the fruit in a heat proof dish (20cm x 20cm approx) and then sprinkle the crumble on top.
7. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Find your favourite book or watch your favourite tv program with a large bowl of crumble with lashings of cream.