Canadian Zucchini and Cinnamon Bake
We were given this delicious cake/bread in church in Canada 6 hours north of Montreal, off the St Lawrence River, where only during the summer its doors are opened with a visiting vicar. Someone brings in something delicious each week and this is one of them. Whether a churchgoer or not, yummies and ‘cook outs’ on the beach mean you may go just for the summer! It was so delicious that I had to ask for the recipe. I like it for breakfast with a cup of tea or it is perfect for elevenses. This recipe came from Sarah Chick. I just halved it because the quantity was a party amount, converted to grams, used self raising flour and added a little more egg.
250g self raising flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
120g coconut oil
250g organic sugar
1½ tsp vanilla extract
170g grated courgette
Add a handful of chopped walnuts if you like
- Crumple a piece of baking paper and lightly oil it with flavourless oil. Put it in a 20 x 10cm (8inch x 4inch)baking container. Preheat oven to 325F/180ºC
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl
- Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 – 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.