Cheesy Grits with Garlic lemon prawns
We had this in North Carolina for the wedding brunch of a cousin. This is not exactly it, but my take on what we had. It is comforting, filling and delicious.
1 cup grits
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
4 cups boiling or very hot water
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 large bag raw prawns
3 cloves garlic. minced
5 spring onions, chopped
Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Pour boiling water over grits, garlic and salt.
- Stir well and put it in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and add the cheese, butter and milk.
- Taste it and it will probably need another hour so that it does not taste gritty. It should be sloppy.
- When it is ready, remove from the oven and fry up spring onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the prawns and cook through.
- Add lemon and salt to taste.
- Add chopped tomatoes at the end.
- Pour the grits onto a platter and the prawns on top. Serve with whichever greens you have – we had cucumber and chive