Japanese Prawn Sesame Dippers
Other than prawns, the 2 main ingredients are Japanese. If someone Japanese reads this, forgive me for the title please……….
2 spring onions
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp mirin
1 heaped tbsp rice flour
½ birds eye chilli
Sesame oil for frying
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
- Whizz all of the ingredients except the flour in a food processor but do not over-whizz. It is easier to add the chillis and spring onion already chopped so as to avoid large pieces of it that have gone astray in the processor.
- Tip it into a bowl and mix in the flour.
- Form balls or patties and place them on baking paper. This is easiest with teaspoons. Form all of them and refrigerate for 20 minutes or so before rolling in sesame seeds because otherwise it becomes messy.
- Roll the balls in the sesame seeds. You may find this easier by sprinkling them over the balls on the tray and rolling them in the seeds.
- Fry them in sesame oil until lightly browned.
- Mix the dipping sauce ingredients.
- Dip away….
You can make these the day before up to stage 4 sealed in an airtight container to prevent drying out, until frying time.