I was so tempted to get an Indian takeaway but a lonely smoked haddock was sitting in the fridge and from it came this dish. My husband tasted it and said, “This is nothing like we had in the army. More please.”
50g unsalted butter
1 onion finely diced
1 large tomato, seeds removed and chopped into tiny squares
A large handful of frozen peas
200g boiled rice
240g smoked haddock
2 or 3 boiled eggs (boil for 8 minutes)
1. Melt the butter and fry the onion over a low heat until sweet and pale brown.
2. Add the tomato and peas and heat through.
3. Mix in the cooked rice (boil it in 500ml of water and when it is not quite absorbed, remove the pan from the heat, place a tea towel on top and a lid on top of that to absorb the steam and make it light).
4. While the rice does this, steam the haddock. Do this by placing some baking paper in a steamer with the haddock on top. Steam until the flesh flakes, about 5-10 minutes.
5. Boil two or 3 eggs and cut into segments.
6. Mix it all together.
7. If you like, add a dollop of butter to melt into it it if it is hot. Good cold too though…..