Polenta Fish Cakes
250g fish such as cod, haddock, mullet, pollack, salmon any sustainably caught fish
Mayonnaise – 5tbsp (this could also be partly creme fraiche)
100g Polenta plus extra for coating, or you can use breadcrumbs
Lemon juice – about quarter of a lemon
About half a tsp of salt – but check the seasoning
Chives, dill, parsley, whichever herbs are handy
1. Mix all of the above. Add more or less mayonnaise and lemon juice to taste for dropping consistency (not too sloppy and not too firm).
2. Coat in polenta or breadcrumbs.
3. If you have time, let the fishcakes sit in the fridge for half an hour or so.
4. Fry in a plain oil such as vegetable, sunflower, groundnut etc until golden brown.
5. Serve with chilli sauce, chilli jam, mayonnaise or creme fraiche