Roasted vegetable bruschetta topping
This is one of those staples that can remain in the fridge for a week or two and be called on with ease …
3 red or yellow peppers
Bulb of garlic – top chopped off so that squeezing out the cooked garlic will be easy.
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
100g sundried tomatoes, chopped into small strips
1. Put the peppers, aubergine and garlic in a hot oven for 45 minutes or until the peppers have blistered (pierce the aubergine with a knife otherwise it might explode in the oven)
2. Finely slice the onion and gently cook it in the olive oil over a medium/low heat until soft. It is really important that it is not crunchy.
3. When it has softened, add the balsamic vinegar and cook for another ten minutes.
4. Remove the peppers, aubergine and garlic from the oven and put the peppers in a plastic bag, sealed, so that the skin will separate from the flesh.
5. When the aubergine, peppers and garlic are not too hot to handle, remove their skin (and seeds for the peppers) and chop them roughly. Then add them to the pan with the olive oil, onion and balsamic mixture.
6. Mix in the sundried tomatoes.
7. Serve on bruschetta, pasta, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil …