Sole, Lemon Sole or Plaice au Gratin
The addition of sauce is suggested, which I omitted as it is perfect as it is. Again, simple and delicious; thank you Granny Dot.
‘Ingredients – 1 Sole, 1 teaspoonful chopped parsley; 1 small onion or shallot; 3 button mushrooms; brown breadcrumbs; 1 oz margarine; half pint brown sauce; salt; pepper.
Method. – Wash and dry the fish, remove the skin, make an incision along the backbone at each side and slanting incisions on each side. Chop the mushrooms, shallot and parsley finely, and mix them together. Fill the incisions with teh mixture, place the fish on a well-greased baking tin, cover with brown bread crumbs, put small pieces of hte margarine at intervals over the top, and bake about 15 minutes in a moderate oven.
How to dish – Serve on a hot dish and pour brown sauce round, in which the trimming of the mushroom have been simmered.’
(The Daily Mail Cookery Book, 1920, Mrs C.S. Peel)
4 prepared Plaice (skin off on one side, and gutted) (or Sole or Lemon Sole)
half an onion
1 tbsp parsley
1. Finely chop the mushrooms, onion and parsley (or whizz in a machine if you have one).
2. Cut two incisions with a very sharp knife alongside the backbone of the fish so that you have pockets on either side.
3. Fill these pockets with the mushroom mixture.
4. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and dot butter on top of this.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutess until the breadcrumbs are crisp and the fish cooked though. Serving suggestion: with buttered seasoned sprouting brocoli