Speedy Fruity Baked Meringue
This is so similar to the Rhubarb pie that it is hardly worth posting, but the reason I am is that it is a pastry-less version which my daughter prefers. She is strictly gluten free so all of these are with her in mind, and me as I think I am where she gets it from. We enjoyed this just as much, and I added berries – you could add ice cream like a Baked Alaska. The list of fruit is endless, and they don’t need be a in compote form; soft fresh fruit of your choice would be just as good. I don’t know if the pastry aversion is because she is 13 and keen on exercise etc, or if she really doesn’t like it as the rest of us thought it was delicious. But either way, here is a speedy and simple way of making it.
Rhubarb and or
Any fruit compote
soft fresh fruit
Ice cream (optional)
3 egg whites
90g caster sugar
- Take a ramekin per person and half fill it with compote of you choice. I put rhubarb compote in and added some leftover berries from the freezer.
- You could add a spoonful of ice cream on top of the compote before adding the meringue mixture, baked Alaska style.
- Preheat the grill
- Whisk the egg whites until they turn white and then gradually add the sugar, a little at a time while still whisking. When it is very thick and glossy it is ready.
- Spoon it on top of the filled ramekins.
- Place the filled ramekins on a baking tray and put them under the grill or use a blow torch.
- If you are using ice cream, serve immediately.