Spiced Christmas Red Cabbage
This benefits from being made in advance – and leftovers are so good with ham, cold turkey etc…
I have been off-line – so if there is anyone out there following advance Christmas cooking suggestions, sorry! I am in my husband’s office before taking my children ice skating and using his connection to post this. I have also made stuffing in advance and I will add that and brandy butter if our internet connection works again before Christmas. (I am making eggnog tomorrow and have already made gravlax) Otherwise sorry for not being able to add more and Happy Christmas!
A glug of plain oil
Knob of butter
1 onion thinly sliced
1 medium red cabbage, finely sliced (use a mandolin if you have one)
100g brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp salt
175mls red wine
1 handful of raisins or sultanas (optional)
1. Heat the oil and butter in a pan and add the onion, cooking over a gentle heat until glossy (about 5 minutes)
2. Add the cabbage and coat in the oil and butter. When it is a little tender, (about 8 minutes), add the sugar, spices and salt and stir in.
3. Add the wine and let it cook gently over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender.
4. Add the sultanas or raisins, if using, and stir in.
4. Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.
I will be away until the New Year skiing with no snow!