Spiced Sultana Demerara Cake
This is one of my great great grandmother’s recipes, re-invented. I have kept the same ingredients and changed the quanties, adding demerara sugar for a wonderful finish.
I made it for tea with a lovely lady, Barbara Marriott, the grandmother of a friend, whilst asking her for words of wisdom in the research I am doing for a book proposal on my great great Granny. I then made another when home as the children finished it off before I had a chance to truly savour it!
Anna del Conte described this cake as “perfection” – what better recommendation?!
150g unsalted butter, softened
120g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp demerara sugar
Set the oven to 190 degrees C
1. Line a Victoria Sandwich cake tin with baking paper at the base and soft unsalted butter around the sides.
2. Mix all of the ingredients except the demerara sugar, together.
3. Add to the tin and sprinkle the demerara sugar on top.
4. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before removing it and placing on a wire rack to cool.