Another Mrs C.S. Peel inspiration. We have had this twice. The only difference this second time is 5g more cheese and 2 tbsp of cream. What a difference! The beer is not over-powering at all and it really is delicious. So dig in!
The preferable base is lightly toasted wholemeal or rye bread.
20g unsalted butter
90g strong cheddar cheese
2 tbsp double cream
1 egg yolk
1. Melt the butter over a medium heat and stir in the flour.
2. Let it mix together well then add the beer off the heat. Stir well.
3. Add the grated cheese and mustard, stirring well over a medium heat.
4. Let is cool for at least a few minutes before adding the egg and cream otherwise the egg will scramble.
5. Spread on top of lightly toasted bread and grill until golden.
6. Salad tossed in olive oil, white wine vinegar and a little Maldon salt, the Italian way. (details above second photograph on link) is a good accompaniment.